Broadfields United put a new name on the Premier Cup

This season’s Middlesex Premier Cup final was staged on Wednesday evening at Chestnut Avenue, the atmospheric home of Northwood FC, between two sides from Division One of the Spartan South Midlands League, Hillingdon Borough and Broadfields United. The closeness of their relative league positions and of their encounters with each other this season indicated that this final would be a very even affair. However, this was not the case and Broadfields United registered a comfortable victory.

Broadfields pressured the Hillingdon Borough defence from the start and a curling cross cum shot from Aiden Callanan was pushed away for a corner, with some difficulty, by keeper Rory Mullane. Connor Spinks put Broadfields ahead in the 10th minute, with a spectacular half-volley into the top corner of the net.

Connor then made an incisive run but his subsequent low cross passed behind his incoming teammates. At the other end, a dangerous in-swinging corner by Dwain Thomas was punched out from under his crossbar by Frankie Atwell.

Broadfields doubled their lead in the 35th minute. Rex Kimona, who had previously put a couple of efforts into the cemetery behind the goal, forced the ball home from close range. Connor Spinks burst through and threatened to add to the score but was foiled by the keeper’s feet. Then Rory Mullane punched out an inswinging corner.

Half time score:  Hillingdon Borough 0   Broadfields United 2

Hillingdon Borough raised their game for a while in the second period but could not break through the solid Broadfields defence.

Broadfields United scored a third goal in 65th minute through Connor Spinks, who connected with a wide free kick from Aiden Callanan.

Hillingdon Borough had an attacking flurry, during which several shots were blocked and which ended with the lively Dwain Thomas firing wide.

Paul Somers beat the keeper to Rex Kimona’s pass but his effort went just past the post. Paul then put Rex through with a clever pass but the latter’s shot lacked power. Nevertheless, Broadfields added a 4th goal, in the 85th minute, when Dene Gardner burst through the middle, took the ball around the goalkeeper and slid it home.

Just over a minute afterwards, Hillingdon Borough substitute, Rio Faux-James, outpaced the Broadfields defence and placed the ball under the advancing keeper for a consolation goal. He then came close to adding to this score but his shot across goal was just wide.

Final score:  Hillingdon Borough 1   Broadfields United 4

Hillingdon Borough: Rory Mullane, James Walters, Dominic Rhone, Nathan Rego, James Gurteen, Dan Mehmet, Dwain Thomas, Prince Mbengui, Andrew Burton, Andrew Harewood and Tashan Jordan.

Substitutes: Laurie Waters (for Dwain Thomas 72 mins), Rio Faux-James (80), Adam Hills, Matt Lee and Tom Williams.

Manager: Ian Crane   Assistant Manager: Ricky Machel.

Broadfields United: Frankie Atwell, Aiden Callanan, Natalmond Lewis-Robinson, Tom Rivet, Sam O’Neill, Gary Edwards, Harry Henley, Connor Spinks, Rex Kimona, Billy Smith and Jade McCrea.

Substitutes: Marley Anderson-Richards (for Aiden Callanan 72 mins), Dene Gardner (for Tom Rivett 72), Paul Somers (for Billy Smith 78), Liam O’Keefe and Nathan Jallow.

Manager: Mark Barnham.

Referee Alan Cresswell controlled proceedings expertly, ably assisted by Andrew Batten and Vlad Sawenko and fourth official, Stephen Haynes.

Guest of Honour, Middlesex FA Vice Chairman, Doug Douglas, presented the trophy and mementoes after the game. He chose Connor Spinks of Broadfields United as the Player of the Match.

The attendance was 200. Our grateful thanks are given to Northwood FC for their great hospitality and for allowing us the use of their superb facilities. 

Photos from the match can be found here courtesy of Mike Heavey.

Jim Taylor